10 Things: Thorpe Park
Ten Things you didn’t know about Thorpe Park
- It was a former mineral site. Like Cotswold Water Park, it was transformed from a mineral site to a major tourist destination.
- To prevent BO, Thorpe Park enforced a ban on raising arms on rides, handed out deodorant to smelly visitors and asked sweaty riders to move to the back of the car.
- In 2008, visitors left 150 litres of sick at the park. Rhys Owens was employed specifically to clean up sick. It was the first time a theme park had to employ a vomit collector.
- Karl Anderson and Gaynor Cooper exchanged vows and got married at the bottom of Saw: The Ride in their newly-dead themed wedding.
- Bosses of Thorpe Park offered £500 to whoever submitted the most pungent smelling urine. The smell was to be recreated in Saw Alive.
- The record for most naked people was once broken on Nemesis Inferno. Since then, it has been beat by Adventure Island.
- The number of people visiting the park is decreasing. In 2011, there were 2million visitors. In 2012 there were 1.8m.
- The park was first owned by Lord Mountbatten.
- There are 33 rides at Thorpe Park, the most expensive to build was The Swarm at £20 million.
- A model of Jedward was displayed and controversially burned at the 2011 firework display, which concluded with the park blowing up a firework engine.
About: Michael Mander
You may also like...
Sorry - Comments are closed